Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Tale of Two Photographs, Venice, Italy 2013





In Venice in the summer of 2013, I walked to the arch at on end of Saint Mark's Square and saw an artist working on the street beyond the arches. I made two exposures; the first one at top, the second below it. When I got home, I realized neither one was what I wanted, but also saw that some combination of the two might work. For instance, I didn't want the tourists walking by the painter. I also didn't want the man in shadow in the frame. What I did want, however, was the smartly dressed man approaching from the right and the painter doing his work on the left. I also wanted a bit more detail on the arches. I enlisted the help of my friend Tom who is more highly skilled than I at Photoshop to have a go at it. He came up with a compromise by eliminating the tourists and the shadow man and combining frame one with frame two and recovering detail in the arches. It took Tom about one tenth the time it would have taken me to get the same results. I do prefer the color of the buildings in the originals, but I wasn't going to complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment