Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Steely Dan in San Jose, October 2009






I have seen Steely Dan five or six times since they began to play live again after a hiatus of 20 years or so. Since I had missed them in their earlier incarnation, I wasn't about to now. This show took place at the San Jose Civic Auditorium in downtown, an arena that served as the home of the Santa Clara University Broncos basketball team when they were a West Coast powerhouse in the 60's and early 70's. It was a venue that also hosted numerous concerts, and I saw the Rolling Stones, The Who, The Mamas and the Papas, The Association and others here. Today the name has changed but it has been gussied up and is an outstanding music venue. In 2009 I was using the Canon Powershot G9, a black brick that I could safely get into concerts. It's much noisier than my newer model Sony, but did an adequate job. Steely Dan is not a visual band in any respect. It's all about the music and they always deliver, at least to my ears. Nice lighting too! One of my "Desert Island disc" bands for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment