Sunday, January 20, 2013

Fishing on the Kenai, Alaska





In July of 2002, I went with great trepidation to the Kenai River about three hours southeast of Anchorage to try my hand at salmon fishing. I had just finished four days of working a baseball camp for highschoolers in Anchorage, and my coaching friends were insistent that I go with them to give it a shot. This was a three day marathon, from six am to eight pm. There is a limit to the number of fish one can pull out of the river on any given day. No one needed to worry about me. While all my coaching buddies were yanking those things out of the river at an alarming pace, I finally got my only salmon about an hour before we packed up and drove to the airport for our flights home. The top photo shows me smiling. Something I didn't do much of for three days. It was beautiful out there, I have to admit, and I feel fortunate that I had the opportunity. In about eight years of working the camp, this was my first and last attempt. All shots taken with the Nikon Coolpix 5700.

No comments:

Post a Comment