Monday, September 9, 2013

Dilapidated Beauty in Havana






The young man in the fourth picture was my cyclo driver one Sunday morning who pedaled me around Habana Vieja. When I told him what I wanted to see in my broken Spanish, he asked me after the third or fourth place we stopped, "You like this?" He seemed incredulous that anyone could "like" or find beauty in the crumbling structures I asked him to stop at. I certainly see his point. If I lived in Havana, I'd just want the government to fix these dangerous buildings. Every year, people are killed when buildings suddenly collapse. Many families share living quarters in buildings seen in these photographs, some living on the roof with no shelter above them. From my hotel room, I could see a rooftop with a bathtub sitting there with no walls or roof around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment