Monday, June 9, 2014

Beyond Bokeh









Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in out-of-focus parts of an image produced by a lens, according to wikipedia. So, yesterday, bored and uncreative, I popped on my Nikon 50 mm, 1.8 lens with a Photodiox adapter to my Sony A7 full-frame camera. Since it's manual focus only with an adapter, I started playing around in the backyard and decided I liked the blurred shots more than the in-focus ones. Moving on later in the afternoon to the Sunnyvale Art and Wine "festival", I tried some more while my wife was busy shopping for a hat. I even went for a portrait using the technique. On the way back to the car, I photographed a bush in bloom with the more traditional approach of getting some part of the shot in focus, letting the background go blurry using a large aperture. Counterintuitively, the smaller the aperture, the more is in focus. Having fun with this just made my camera bag a little fuller for our upcoming trip to Morocco. I'll be packing the Nikon.

No comments:

Post a Comment