Saturday, October 19, 2013

Cuba 2003





On our first trip to Cuba in 2003, we were there primarily to play baseball, and so there wasn't as much time as I'd have liked to do photography. Nevertheless, I managed to get a few keepers, saddled as I was at the time with the Nikon 5700 5 megapixel all-purpose zoom. The problem with the lens is most evident in the last photograph as I couldn't get verticals and horizontals to be just that; vertical and horizontal, even with today's powerful lens correction tools. The top photography was taken from our hotel balcony in Cienfuegos, the site of our only victory in the four game goodwill tour. The top three are all from Trinidad, where we had a brief two hour stop before heading down to the beach at Playa Ancon. I feel very fortunate to have been able to go back twice to Trinidad for more extended periods with much better equipment. Although I am not obsessed with having the latest and greatest (read expensive) gear, today's camera technology is light years ahead of what it was ten years ago, making photography not only more enjoyable but far superior at a pixel level.

No comments:

Post a Comment