Saturday, December 1, 2012

Rock and Roll






The mid to late 70's was a great time in the San Francisco Bay Area for what is now referred to as "Classic Rock" concerts. I attended as many as I could, often not because I was particularly enamored of the artist I was seeing, but simply to see what all the fuss was about. The Sex Pistols and Freddy Mercury and Queen, both from Winterland in San Francisco, were bands I had no great interest in, but wanted to photograph. Queen was tremendous live, The Pistols abominable. January 14, 1978. The fans made the conditions at the show less than enjoyable, but I got out of there unscathed. Bruce Springsteen from 1978 at Santa Clara University where I had front row seats and had to lean backwards with my 50 mil lens to be able to focus. Maybe the best show I have ever seen. Bob Dylan from the Warfield Theater in San Francisco during his Jesus period. He did 3 years straight of two-week residences. I picked this photograph from the hundreds I took because he is actually smiling. Pete Townsend from the Oakland Coliseum in 1980. The Who has the combination of great songs and riveting showmanship, unlike Dylan or Van Morrison who just play the songs. 

1 comment: