Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Hamburger, Paris, 2000


I enjoy photographs that have a story attached. There's a column in Shutterbug Magazine called "Talking Pictures" that I read every month. In fact, this photograph was published in that column a few years ago. My wife and I had gotten engaged about an hour before I took this on the Pont des Arts. Walking around, I had seen this photograph all over Paris but hadn't bothered to take a picture of it. After we got engaged, it seemed to be a bit more symbolic. It also represents something about Paris. You've got a fast food advert for McDonald's, a "restaurant" that many French hate, as well as the controversial, at least for many years after it was built, Pompidou Center, with the garish colors, the inside-out construction and modern look smack dab in the middle of buildings hundreds of years old. I can't say what public opinion is now, but at the time there were a few noses pushed out of shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment