Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Billboard in Moscow, 2010


So why this picture? For one, just being in Moscow, albeit for 10 hours or so, was a once-in-a-lifetime event for me. As a child of the Cold War and growing up reading John Le Carre, Ian Fleming, and numerous other accounts of spies, treachery, and double agents, this was a very cool day for me. When I told one of our guides, a woman over 60, that I appreciated the opportunity just to be here, she was surprised that her country had had such an emotional effect on me. I was infatuated with all things Russian, even down to the advertisements on billboards. I like this picture because it combines English and Russian words in an inexplicable way. Why any English at all? I also like the couple on the balcony just to the left of the sign, enjoying a warm Moscow afternoon. Taken with the Sony DSC-HX5V, my point-and-shoot of the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment