Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bob Marley, David Bowie, and Neil Young




Bob Marley and David Bowie are not my favorite musicians, but back in the 70's, I wanted to see everyone and, for the most part, I did. Neil Young was, and still is, one of my "must sees," and he's still going strong. The Marley picture was taken at the Berkeley Community Theater in 1976. One could simple leave one's seat and stroll up to the stage and fire away for a while. He was a mesmerizing performer, but reggae gets old for me real fast. Bowie's show at the cavernous Cow Palace in 1976 was the only time I saw him live. I remember clearly being stunned at the lighting, the sound system,  the fantastic band, and the man himself who seemed to reinvent himself every year. I think this was his "Thin White Duke" phase, but I could be wrong. Neil Young played an extended run at the Boarding House in San Francisco in 1978, and I got a table just to the right of the stage. He was riveting, as usual. I took these pictures with the Nikon FM and used color slide film pushed processed to 400 ASA.

No comments:

Post a Comment