Saturday, November 10, 2012

Sports






Sports photography usually involves action, with fast shutter speeds and long lenses. My longest lens is a 300mm, so unless I'm right on top of things, I have to make do with more reflective photographs, which is fine with me. The top picture is from Fenway Park in Boston in July of 2012. Some members of the Chicage White Sox are taking a leisurely stroll out to the bullpen before the game. I tried to use the rule of thirds and negative space to make an interesting composition. Photograph #2 shows the famous Green Monster at Fenway with my former high school player, Daniel Nava, in left field. Sony NEX 7 with the Tamron 18-200 lens. The middle photo is from the Oakland Coliseum, A's vs. Yankees. It was early in the game and the sky was pretty nice. Nikon D300 with the Tokina 11-16. Getting the first base line straight took some work in Photoshop because of the wide angle. The bottom two pictures were taken in 2010 at Pebble Beach at the National Pro-Am (I think it's called). The waves were crashing up on the course for most of the day. I was able to take pictures because I was at a private home on the eighteenth fairway. Course marshalls were constantly on the lookout for cameras if one set foot on the course. In the bottom picture, a caddy is trying, in vain, to rake the sand. Above that is actor Bill Murray and pro Rocco Mediate walking up the eighteenth to their balls. Murray was very conservatively dressed that day. I used one of my Nikons with the 18-200 lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment