Thursday, November 29, 2012

Hong Kong Layover


In July of 2011, I had a twenty-four hour layover in Hong Kong on my way back from Vietnam. Thanks to the remarkably efficient rail service from the airport, I was in my hotel an hour after landing. About four, I made my way to the Star Ferry for the trip across the harbor, and then up Victoria Peak via the tram. There was an hour wait at the bottom as the line crawled along, but I finally got up there and then scrambled for a place along the viewing area, which was packed with tourists. I had my tripod, but using it was out of the question because of all the people, as well as the awkwardness of getting it to fit above the railing. So, I settled for handheld using the Nikon D90 and the Tokina 11-16 wide angle. I was there about two hours and took a variety of shots as the sun slowly disappeared and the lights of the city began to make their mark on the composition. Coincidentally, a friend I had made on the Mekong Cruise from which I was returning was also on a layover and jostling for position on the summit as well. Small world, considering where we had been.

No comments:

Post a Comment