Thursday, November 1, 2012

Wabi Sabi, Havana 2012




I first heard the term "Wabi-Sabi" a few years ago in an article in Photo Life, a Canadian publication, by Richard Martin. He leads photo trips to Cuba and his abstracts inspired me to look for this type of photograph. In briefest terms, Wabi-Sabi is Japanese and means something like the beauty of an object that has been worn down over time by natural processes. If you look it up and this isn't exactly right, sorry. My good friend Nigel, on the Cuba trip last summer, was always chuckling and needling me whenever he saw me point the camera towards a wall that was crumbling, cracking, peeling, or otherwise not in pristine shape by US standards. Top and bottom, Sony NEX 7, 1/60, 4.5. Middle NEX 5n. Although we've never met, thanks Richard!

No comments:

Post a Comment